Thursday, July 13, 2006

In Lost Places




       I never knew I loved winter.

In fact,
I must have mislaid photographs of white places
during the storm, the black and white of a
gazebo, or the distance between everything. And there
is a vertigo of song here—it is clever,
       maddening,

                         increasingly       December.
I am here again in the season; I carry a talisman,
a rosary, and a string-of-letters written
in white.

In the evenings the cluster of city lights rein in
these eyes--they clarify the low clouds that hang
from the sky like summered mist, but summer is not home.
And I think
I can see spring--it is an opening scene,
where mountains grow and fingers spread cool,
begging for release.

(I can still feel the laughter each
time I turn the soil.)

At times I lie like a lily without stem, speak to it
in its own Italian,
mouthing the words I long

to hear. At times, I fly like a gull into interstices,
and with no one looking, I fall deeper into the lungs of
Neruda, taste the thread--open dividers that held
for so        long.

And with little breath, I dribble language, hope to rise
from the
hard of
      a season I dislike,
       but still,
                    but still,
                         but still, the pearl of my spine
                                      will not be strung!

So tomorrow, I sleep like
the past [lovers] that knelt before it.
In spring I will sow a blossom, a yellowed daffodil
from bulb - it too will brighten the city once more, where
in this very moment, seems sheltered in white.

*Draft II

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Cher. This is Meth.

I enjoyed this, somewhat prose-poemy. I like where it came from--solitude--do you write late at night or enclosed in a semidark room? the words feel like that, everything said before it's put down. at times some of the syntax or wording seems haughty, but overall the speaker is very consistent.

this is a bit different from anything I've read by you before. There is still a softness, but one I think that is situational--remember what I said about guiding? I feel that here as well--that means that you know where you're going with things, so there's no need to scramble through the litterbox looking for what you need.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ca said...

I appreciate that, matt. :)

I have no answer to this - I just write some v off the wall things at times.

I am v glad that you came by and enjoyed my piece. like I said in the previous message - I am so sleepy right now. I am sure when I see my reply tomorrow my sleepiness will show. :)


Contemplations During or Prior to a Walk

tonight     tension extends beside
the weathered gate in the patch
I wrought and raised last spring

& like footfall
my eyes travel the distance of dreaming/
a runner of vine     tangled/twisted
sparrow’s straw/ minute omelets or the color red
&
     these are     always are
details
too barbed to speak

as I walk     my hands circle & signal through
the vectors where
I observe a forked-tongue/a loner/&
a man feeding pigeons     a thickening fog
in an otherwise strident landscape of
wake-up artists & crowds/pets too emotionally
involved to          catch scents of women who
stir          s(o)ft
near verandas stamped in clover
tossing
          colorless linen into the sky

& it is immediate
               lip
to lipstick / a quick contour / a smooth
                   &
             wet kisses      are bre/ath/able
         like good skin
         & it is sluggish
         the eye that
         wanders

where I gather toward the sounds of com/plex
glasses
     high-strung on wired jaws
passing or passing     flaming mouths
that perjure underneath the curtained weather of
far away

places I have never seen
         perhaps it is the wine
that     blesses our feet in sand
per         haps it is the sand that swallows the feet
similar to the lies
     forever from the coffer     one by
one     cre(ate)ing     the canvas
for which we shroud

     a      work of art or not
         /&/
             or fractions of what we seem to be

     & they say the canyons are olive paper boats
     bodies spilling into     flutes
     a garnish or an umbrella     anything

to keep out the past     two hands that join
spread the doldrums     thread tête-à-tête
         & bedroom velvet after the fire

but before or during the pigeons & the women
who stir
             pre/vious to garden’s knotted vine
         we or they must thin oil from sea
crush grapes over northern hilltops
bury old/odd lovers in the stain

             but at this point
as apprehension aligns old doorways
we secure     these     affairs like
         luggage
             collect our keys & decide     to drive

*just wrote this - a first/second draft.

I am sure the format will not stay and I am much too sleepy to fix it. I need to edit it and such anyway. :) night.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home