Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Summer of 77

Summer of 77

Adolescence furnished my body two years
after it found my brain. Chicago was fizzy
hot. I had a crush on everything risky,
above all, a fabricated boy. I know
for whom my curiosity churned

the moment I spotted him discovering
me in a pink polka-dot sundress. Shaved
legs, unapproved by mom would showoff
my grain. You came from New York
for a visit. I’d seen photos of you

but wasn't prepared to become a still-life

peering from a frame. You were dynamic
and 17; your city was urban capital; stories
were like glossy Teen Beat interviews with Leif
Garrett. Even the glass with the pop dad poured

for you made cool sweat designs. Your index
finger tip-lined my moist palm when we both
held your girlfriend's picture - güera skin,
but russet eyes and hair, something like pretty
Latina and an open mouth smile. My rival

didn’t wear braces. I looked up, you were pinning
button eyes on mine. Later, on the porch, you
asked me to marry you. I ran away like I needed
to apply an internal curfew. How could I want
to say anything but yes to my first cousin?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y, the detail here is very strong, so much so that I don't doubt the sky. The ending, which I didn't expect at all, had a flanging effect on me, and I think that the title strengthens this work by not emphasising the ending, making the closing words a complete surprise.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Yoly said...

Hi Matthew-

Thank you for taking a look and commenting. It took me by surprise as well..

Y

10:35 AM  
Blogger Luciano Bove said...

Ciao and thanks for your comment!

6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home